Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tokyo Day 7 May 26, 2008


(goin' to work?!)
So! we are coming up to a week, my lovelies. How time flies! Monday, day 7 was quite an event. After a day of rest, it was gonna be a relaxing day to meander about town, particularly Harajuku and Shibuya.

(store front)

First place on the agenda was to check out Another Edition, a store in harajuku displaying some of my watercolor art pieces and selling three tee shirt designs I did for their spring/summer collection.


(one of three designs)

(sketches on watercolor papers)




(stickeratti'd pole is SO in this year...)
We were lucky that the day was warm and there were many things to see while I played tourist.

(Tsuruta~san)
We met up with Tsuruta San and I took some flicks.

(Big Up in TKO!!)
After our meet, greet and check out the shop, we went to eat lunch at a chinese restaurant, the son of dragon. Very befitting a new kung fu flick. I had tan tan men and some mabo tofu. It was a lunch time recommendation of a good friend of mine, DJ KOGEE of Hotcakes.
After food and wandering, one thing led to another and the next thing you know, I found myself traveling all over the shibuya~harajuku neighborhood, catching up with old friends and familiar faces and meeting new ones and new places.

(Where I get Homage? Shut?)
This particular day's road took me to a mini Phil Frost museum at Hectic Harajuku, right near the Wendy's at omotesando, Hectic's Tenjikai ( introducing the new fall/winter line),

(this how we roll! goin' surfin in tokyo, SUN!!)
Volcom's Danger Mini at Omotesando, Harajuku,

( Mister Sano!)

(Holla!!)
the top secret Burton Bowl, Uplink Gallery, An Art Bookstore near Uplink,

(what the...)
watching the installation of Kami and Cres's mural painting for Chanel's Mobile Museum in Olympic Yoyogi Koen,

(UFO?)

(Kress and Kami, Modern Art)
Yoyogi Koen's Super Floor Mural of Kami and Sasu, the SUPER ILL Gateway by Cres, Bel2 and Suiko.

(Bel2 and Suiko)

(Kress and Bel2)
After all that and getting ready to call it quits,

(not rush hour)
I found myself on a train ride to yokohama to yokohama's premier live spot, Thumbs Up! I spent the whole day like a tourist. I realize traveling brings out the essence of moment to moment interaction. I mean, when I travel, I find myself doing things that I usually don't do. Now, that sounds obvious but lets put things in perspective. Why is every moment so precious? There is a moment when I am gonna have to jump back on that vehicle that took me to where I came from. I won't be able to live that moment again. It is just accentuated when I travel because, I am physically involved in the moment of now as my mind is. At home, I am afraid I was taking an advantage of having been where I am from. I don't have to try to do anything, but sometimes in that process, I miss out on opportunities that might have beens. It's probably not possible to do everything all the time, but with a little planning and determination, I think we can all strive to do more, not because it is our routine, but because it is not routine. My day 7? I had a meeting, I sold a shirt, I talked to some random fan, watched a man being harrassed by a crow, skated up and down hills and ramps, endured a crowded train ride, reconnected with old friends and new ones and bathed in beautiful live sounds of,

The Badge,

The Electric Rainbow Band,

Saritah,

Ash Grunweld, in that order, ate an avocado cheese teriyaki burger and a mango beer. YEAH! That's traveling. I would especially like to thank for my day's events, Kumetani Satoshi of Dooor, DJ Kogee of Hotcake, Akeem of Hectic, Phil Frost, Koi Fish swimming upstream, Sano San of Volcom, Sakai san of Burton, Ichiro san of Thumbs UP, Shingo Wakagi for putting a roof over my head, Mi Asakita for putting up with me and the following bands and their members... The Badge (Noric/Guitars and Voice, Masaya/Drums,Dai/Bass), The Electric Rainbow Band (Otsuka Hiroyuki/Guitar,Chutney/Bass,Kanami/Bass), Saritah (Guitar/Lovely Voice/AppleBox) and Ash Grumweld (Guitar/Throat/Boom/BAP). If you have never heard any of these bands play, I highly recommend going. It sound kinda obvious, I will not steer you wrong. My jaws dropped. The Badge is ROCK! The Electric Rainbow Band is Psychadelic ROCK in the vein of Jimi Hendrix, ALOT. Saritah is hard heavy hittin' acoustic posi~funk with vocals that make you glad to be alive and ASH .. Damn, this guy is like three guys, three big guys that can build a log cabin in a day and clear the field AND play all night. Why are there so many great bands without gimmicks that we hardly ever get to hear all the time? Am I just going to all the wrong shows? Thank YOUSE!!


(I love Phil Frost.. when I stumbled on this, what?!)

One very important trip to Harajuku is to see Phil Frosts work at Hectic. Believe me, It s an installation that you can't even appreciate, unless you see the shop for your self. Phil Frost is amazingly prolific. He just released a new book. No trip is complete without a trip to this part of tokyo. Only in Japan. It really is a mini museum.

No comments: