Thursday, September 4, 2008

080822-24 OutsideLands, San Francisco



Even after the dome was shut down, the glowing orb always manages to interest and attract some festival goers. A family of three checking it out.

San Francisco in my mind is.. of course, Haight&Asbury. I grew up fascinated by the west coast 60's, psychedelic arts, improvisational jam bands, free love and the illest street skating. I didn t get a chance to indulge in many of this beautiful city's offerings but I can sense, San Francisco still has that heavy vibe. The event, Outsidelands, is the first three day festival in SF's Golden Gate Park, this was 'history in the making...' is what I heard a lot. The festival grounds was set in the most foggiest and chilliest part of town and there were Bisons in the park. Of course, they were caged in, but still, that is pretty nutty to me. But as I've gotten some chance to talk to west coasters, I think these things are pretty normal. The festival was fun as heck and after having seen chicago's Lollapalooza and baltimore's Virgin Mobile Fest, this particular festival had much more art representation and a more granola crowd participation. There were booths with artists selling art ART, Custom wooden jewelry, custom hand made rugs, organic food vendors(!!), Handmade hats, Tie-dye anything, music lessons, organic village(!!!) and way more stuff I saw/ didn't see. Even in the environment of the mega corporate sponsorships and big venue revenue, it was an interesting demographics of people represented at the fair. There were older peoples with their kids and grown up kids and there were younger people with their kids and grown up grandchildren and the young age festival participants. I had a great time. My crew was awesome and everyone was just enjoying being. I think that must be the San Francisco thing. My highlights in the festival was seeing Donovan Frankenreiter. He had a great show and he came into our tent to be interviewed(!!). We were set up in what is the polo fields in the park. Directly across from our dome was the Lands End Main Stage and to our right was The Avenues. I heard , Steel Pulse(WHA?! I got RastaCEntenial Live album), Manu Chao(Blasting!!), Radiohead, the Dynamites featuring Charles Walker(Sick ROOTS Blues), Lyrics Born(pumping up the crowd!!), Galactic Crescent City SoulKrewe, Steve Winwood(?!), Ben Harper(!!), Tom Petty(!!!!!), TOOTS and the Maytals(!!!!!!!!), Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings( I ve seen her four times this summer, never dissappointed, NEW YORK REPRESENT!!), Rodrigo y Gabriela (played twice near the dome!! Chicago and SF, Sick guitar DUO) and Jack Johnson. The only complaint I can say is that there is not enough of me to see all the music that goes on during these festivals... But it s work and later on, I ll see them when I am not working, hopefully! Before San Francisco, we were at different festivals just concerned with getting the dome done. In san francisco, we had to also start thinking about wild animals and nature. We even had a gopher we later dubbed, MAX. I was not a big fan of the west coast, but I have to say, I am thoroughly inspired. Thank God and my parents for my life. Experience is the food for living.




Festivals can be a family affair. Lahti Family Represent!! Proud Uncle.




The Beautiful Rupa of Rupa and the April Fish.



Spin Magazine is always very closely associated with good music and good festival times!



RadioHead. Making History in San Francisco.



Metal Martin fell out of a video game with swords and bikini clad fighter women.



The Heralded Coming, SUN!!!



A champion Ping Ponger of long family lineage. Ms Kee, schooling Jonny Santos.




Our New California Family. Mark Henson and Ms Monti and The Rug King.



The Woods were all lit up at night in the park.



Jonny in the company of beautiful women.



Jonny Climbing the Dome.




Kaki King and Jonny Ping Ponging.



Pre Show Live Painting.



Howling Rain Ping Ponging in the INterview.



Infamous Pete.



Jack Johnson Live.



An Okinawanian Brother, Jeremey of Coco Loco.



John Pritzos giving me the bird.



Tom Petty and fans.



The Dome.



Festival Goers.



The Hair Stylist at work.



Lots of bodies at the festival.



Charles Walker and a Dynamite.



Why is their an eye on the canvas? It was me and CLAY.



Ladies of the Dell Dome.



Donavon Frankenreiter and me, a fan.




Dustin.



Abagail Washburn and the Sparrows being interviewed.



Angus of the Liars!!



Buffalos in San Francisco.




Dell Dome Crew.



Charles Pimpin' the Hawk.




A walk through the park. Pre Show.

No comments: