Tuesday, September 16, 2008

080828 Burnside Portland, Oregon




Portland, Oregon was a stop in between San Francisco, California's Outsidelands and Seattle, Washington's Bumbershoot. There was no specific event that Jonny and I were involved in, rather, this was the stop for Super!Alright! crew to get some on-the-road band stops and filming. I had been in Portland about two times before, all very very long times ago and each time, it was for a minute. This time, it looked like we were there for ten minutes. My only priority in Portland, Oregon was actually visiting one of the skateboarding's mecca of the world, BURNSIDE! The two time I had been in Oregon, I did not have my skateboard. This time, I had my board. And, I was up very early to beat the rush, wanting to ride the sacred location by myself. When I showed up, I was surprised to find two guys in sleeping bags in the middle of the park. Skaters here in this part of the world is crazy hardcore. So hardcore, I didn't want to wake them up. I returned a couple hours later and it was a glide. I don't think I ever appreciated skateboarding as much as skating burnside. Burnside was built by hand, sweat and blood. This is a living park. As a living park, the organic lines available here are all very much different feet to feet. All the trannies have their contours and honestly, I don't think a day is even enough to really appreciate the park. Big UP to the creators and skaters and locals and pilgrims. I am thoroughly humbled.

No comments: